Monday, January 16, 2006

Losing with Quads

Now in my last post I said that there was a particular type of player in the poker world destined to lose with quads, and, on the other side, the sort of guy who beats the poor fucker holding four-of-a-kind. I claimed to be in the 'beaten with quads' category.

Thought that was an exaggeration? Well, the poker gods were listening: check this out.

Just after I finish writing the 'quads' blog, I fire up a P/L HE cash game. First hand I am dealt 22 and check my option. Flop comes 722. I check and it is checked to the button who bets. I call, rest of the table folds. Turn a 7. I am delighted as I’m pretty sure this guy has the other 7. I check, button bets, I go to check-raise and… I am disconnected.

I scream a scream of primeval rage.

I swear. I slam the desk with my fist. And yet I remain disconnected. Long enough anyway that by the time I’m back the table is commiserating me on being disconnected with Quads. Apparently my opponent went all-in after I check-raised – he did have the other 7.

So as I’m reeling from this I am dealt AA. I raise and get two callers. The flop is K high. Someone bets, I raise… and am disconnected again.

I throw my head back and howl - the world is spinning; the neighbour’s dogs start baying in response to the cacophony of fury and torment emanating from my house.

I am reconnected. Unfortunately, I used my last ‘disconnect-protect’ in the last hand and didn’t have time to re-set it. I lose not only the money my opponent would have bet (he went all-in with a pair of Kings) but all the money in the middle as well.

One of the other players at the table types the following: ‘Dude, just get up from the table, and go and watch TV’.

I take his advice.

No comments: