Monday, March 20, 2006

A New Pair of Pants

No, the bad beats haven't ended; the past few days I have found myself tilting worse than I have in some time.

But let's not dwell on this today. Rather, I would like to recall an unexpectedly pleasant ending to the previous evening.

Down to the last three people in a 6-handed SNG.

Sweet dreams are made of these:


***** Hand History for Game 3776219595 *****

Seat 2 is the button

Seat 1: TheRoyalSampler (5645)
Seat 2: anna2201 (1330)
Seat 4: jordanc1 (5025)

Dealt to TheRoyalSampler [ As, Ad ] (Is that all?)
anna2201 folds (You'll be patting yourself on the back for this fold real soon, baby)
jordanc1 calls (50) (But I'm afraid Jordan, that the bell tolls for thee)
TheRoyalSampler raises (150) to 250 (Jordan has shown previously that if he's limping, he's calling any raise that follows)
jordanc1 calls (150)

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ac, 6d, 2h ]

jordanc1 checks

(Ok, so I casually click check after nearly messing my pants)

TheRoyalSampler checks

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 2c ]

(Splooge. Damn - and these are my favourite corduroys)

jordanc1 checks

TheRoyalSampler bets (150)

(Come on baby - have something, a little something, take the bait; bluff me, anything, god, anything)

jordanc1 calls (150)

(ok - now how much value can I extract on the river?)

** Dealing River ** : [ 8c ]

jordanc1 bets (800)

(Hmm. I put him on hitting runner-runner for the club flush here (he has never tried a bluff with this betting pattern before, so I discount that possibility). Anyway, a gentle raise should do the trick)

TheRoyalSampler raises (1800) to 1800

(Now, who could say no to that?)

1800jordanc1 raises (2000) to 2800

(Thank you, Poker Gods)

TheRoyalSampler raises (3445) to 5245

TheRoyalSampler is all-In
jordanc1 calls (1825)
jordanc1 is all-In
Creating Main Pot with $10050 with jordanc1


So the Board reads: [ Ac 6d 2h 2c 8c ]

The RoyalSampler Shows: [ As Ad ] [ a full house, Aces full of twos -- As,Ad,Ac,2h,2c

While our hapless foe reveals: [ Ah 2s ] [ a full house, Twos full of aces -- Ah,Ac,2s,2h,2c ]

Ouch.

But That's not all, check out the very next hand:

Total number of players : 2
Seat 1: TheRoyalSampler (10670)
Seat 2: anna2201 (1330)
TheRoyalSampler posts small blind (50)
anna2201 posts big blind (100)

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to TheRoyalSampler [ 7h, 6d ]
TheRoyalSampler calls (50)
anna2201 checks

(Ok, let the heads-up battle begin. I've been reading Harrington; I'm ready)

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 5c, 4h, 3c ]

(SPLOOOOOOGE. Damn, I'm going to have to burn these now.)

(The next problem is Anna - she's been the tightest player on the table by far until this point, I feel I'm going to trouble extracting much from this hand)

anna2201 bets (1230)
anna2201 is all-In.

(Huh?)

TheRoyalSampler calls (1230)

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 7c ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 3d ]

So the Board looks like this: [ 5c 4h 3c 7c 3d ]

TheRoyalSampler reveals: [ 7h 6d ] [ a straight, three to seven -- 7h,6d,5c,4h,3c ]

While our second hapless foe turns over: [ 4s 2d ] [ two pairs, fours and threes -- 7c,4s,4h,3c,3d ]

Just when you think poker is a heartless, unforgiving beast, she turns around and blesses you with a little moment like this.

But don't be fooled. She is heartless and unforgiving. She's a soul-eater.

But I'm willing to let that slide for today.

No comments: