Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Skill Game

Just some bad beat stories. Don't like 'em? Bad luck.

2.5 hours into some retard tournament on Party. Near the bubble (of course); picked up AA (of course); raise, and am called by chip leader/calling station/fucktard. Flop (Q56). Nice. I bet, chip leader raises, I push for 4000 more (about 80% the size of the pot). Chipleader/fucktard turns over... T6. I kid you not. The turn gives him two pair. Sigh.

I get from the computer, wailing and gnashing my teeth, and resolve to blog about such injustice.

6-handed SNG soon after. Dealt AK (of course). Flop KK2. I check, do a little check-raise on two others in the pot, one drops out. Turn a blank. I bet half the pot, my opponent calls, I'm pretty sure he has the other K at this stage. River a jack, my opponent suddenly springs to life and bets 70% of my remaining chips. My spider sense goes off - hmm I wonder what he has? So I just call. He turns over KJ (of course). Fuckwit.

And everyone at the table is typing 'nh' and 'well played' in the chat box. Huh? Wankers.

So I fight my way back to 1000 in chips in the same SNG. Everyone limps, I limp with A2 on the button. Flop (942) all diamonds. It's checked to me, and I push with my monster (I hold the Ace of diamonds), get called by 88, who does not have a diamond in his hand. Turn a (2), giving me trip 2s; river the 8 of diamonds, giving me the nut flush and shit-eater the boat. Sure, I was only a slight favourite after the flop, but fuck, can I win a coinflip? (and does the concept of folding equity even apply to online poker?)

But anyway, I just wanted to say this: thank you poker gods, thank you.

But I seriously can't win a coinflip. I just fucking can't. In three consecutive SNGs, all three on the bubble, I had 77 lose to AQ; 88 lose to AQ, and AQ lose to 22 (note the blinds were very high at this stage). Stupid game. Stupid me for playing aforementioned game.

Runner runner straight? Sure! Runner runner flush? No problem sir, here, have another. 2 outs? That's one more than you need, my friend! River me, my chips are yours; call me with any two, you'll come up trumps.

Thank you poker gods, thank you poker: the sport of champions, the skill game.





Post script: On the SNG bubble last night AK v A4, fucktard rivers flush, I'm crippled. He knocks me out 6 hands later when I put AT against his A6 and he rivers another flush. Hmm.

Next SNG I run KK into AA three-handed. Hmm.

In the following SNG, I'm chip leader until the same guy gets all his chips in against me twice in a row, with one card to come, on a draw both times, and I have top pair both times, and he hits. Hmmm.

Note to self: stop waving fist and cursing the poker gods.

No comments: